"Your Last Box"
Your last box should include all the items you will need to have available before the rest of your goods are unpacked. These are the basics which you normally use until the very last minute before you leave and which you usually need to use immediately upon arrival.
Whether you are moving yourself or being moved, your last box should be placed where it can be unloaded right away. If you are using movers, instruct them to mark these boxes as LAST BOX, and make sure that they will make a similar notation on the inventory sheets.
Recommended "LAST BOX" items are:
- Coffee, tea, coffee cups, creamer, sugar, powdered drinks, instant oatmeal or cereal, cans of soup, peanut butter and jelly, crackers, raisins, and other convenience foods.
- Coffee maker and or tea pot
- Plastic pitcher
- Paper plates, napkins, cups, paper towels, plastic silverware, and serving spoons.
- Small pot, pan, a bottle opener and a can opener
- Trash bags, paper and plastic bags, aluminum foil, and plastic wrap
- Dish soap and towels
- Cleaning supplies, including rags, cleanser, window cleaner, and trash bags
- Towels, sheets, pillowcases, pillows, blankets, shower curtain, bathtub mat, soap and shampoo
- Toilet paper, tissue, paper towels and napkins.
- A bag of screw, nails, hooks, etc.
- A screwdriver, a hammer, small tools, and scissors.
- Extension cords and a flashlight
- A radio
- A first aid kit and aspirin
- A few toys, books and crayons
Also pack a small tote or suitcase with clothes, toiletries and daily personal items so you are able to manage until you are more organized and settled.